As a payroll company, Pebble offers a coverall service for sub-contractors. We help them pay the correct tax and get the right insurance for a small fee. We understand that many contractors are worried about the tax, insurance, and liability side of working – and that can often seem daunting for those new to self-employment.

Tax Liabilities:

The first thing you need to do when you become self-employed is to let HMRC know. This can now be done online, and you will be issued a unique tax reference number. You will need to keep records of your income and expenditure, as you will be responsible for completing a Self-Assessment tax return each year.

If you are employed and paying PAYE (Pay As You Earn) taxes, then becoming self-employed means having additional tax responsibilities. When you are self-employed, you are responsible for paying income taxes and National Insurance on your earnings.


As a self-employed worker, you will not have the same employment rights, and protections as someone employed. For example, you are not entitled to sick or holiday pay. Because of this, it is essential to ensure that you have the right insurance to protect yourself and your business.

There are a few different types of insurance that self-employed workers should consider:

– Public liability insurance – this covers you if you damage property or injure someone while working

– Professional indemnity insurance – this covers you if you give incorrect advice or information as part of your work

– Employers’ liability insurance – this is only required if you employ staff, but it covers you if an employee is injured or becomes ill because of their work

– Product liability insurance – this covers you if someone is injured by a product that you have supplied

National Insurance:

National Insurance contributions are a way of paying for certain state benefits, including the NHS, and your entitlement to a basic state pension when you reach retirement age.

If employed, you will pay National Insurance contributions through your PAYE tax code. However, when you become self-employed, you need to make sure that you pay the right amount of National Insurance each month or quarter, depending on how often you file your Self Assessment tax return.


As a self-employed worker, you are also liable for any damage you cause to property or people while working. This means that it is crucial to have public liability insurance in place to protect yourself and your business.

If you employ staff, then you are also responsible for their health and safety while they are working. This includes ensuring that they have the proper training and equipment to do them.

How Pebble Contracting Can Help Your Business:

Pebble Contracting offers a comprehensive payroll solution for self-employed workers. We will help you pay the correct tax and get the right insurance for a small fee. We can also provide you with advice and support on all aspects of self-employment, including tax, insurance, and liability.

If you want to learn more about our services, please visit our website or contact us today.


Continue Reading

Get a personal consultation.

Request a Quote